This in-situ was at Gordon Terrace, one of the Elementary Schools in Cranbrook. Mr. David Martin was kind to host our tech class. He gave a short presentation on what his history and experience was with tech in a variety of schools in Cranbrook. Mr. Martin welcomed our group to tour and explore the school.

After exploring the school we were welcomed by Mrs. McCormack’s and Mrs. Haynes grade 1/2 classes. Our goal was to introduce EpicBooks to these amazing students.

I enjoyed the classroom experience. The students were excited to see us. The staff were very welcoming. Mrs. McCormack’s and Mrs. Haynes classes surprisingly had a fair number of students per class. I enjoyed working in small groups. The students liked exploring epicbooks. The time flew by, it was busy and very fun!

The Good

The experience was great, the students were flexible with working in groups. The students recognized that if they wanted to listen to a “read to me” book, they stepped up to solve their problem with ear phones. They also returned the ear phones when our time was up. Students were quick to help clean up when we were finished.

The Bad

One student had difficulty remembering that it was ok for their partner to get a chance to pick a book, with saying that once I reminded them that they need to take turns they had no problem, I think the excitement of the huge selection of books was at first a bit overwhelming.

The experience was such a positive one that at this time I wouldn’t incorporate any changes. I did recognize that when you are the teacher of a full class, it could be a time consuming situation trying to log students in to any planned learning platforms.

I look forward to the next in-situ.