This weeks topic is one that I think is really important. For most people technology is a huge part of everyday life. Many students spend time at home playing video games and are aware of many games. When education is engaging students learning improves. Providing some education through gamification can create an environment where students can reinforce learning concepts with the enjoyment of gaming.

My Thoughts On Gamification in the Classroom

I believe some people think that providing time with educational games is lazy teaching but I personally feel that linking learned concepts to fun games can provide technology education and reinforce learning in an engaging environment. But be warned, when providing games for students game sites have to be introduced with intent of learning. Bringing digital games into the classroom have to have the educational aspect that would be expected. Digital games that are built around education provide the following:

created on Canva

Games and Resources We Explored in Class

PBS Kids Games

PBS Kids Games is a website /app that uses games and videos to educate children. It is free and is designed with some of the PBS popular characters. This platform is designed with curriculum-based entertainment with positive role models. I found the games very interactive and entertaining.

Minecraft

Minecraft can be enjoyed by all ages. I do know that a Minecraft application is available for students in SD5, I have not spent much time exploring it. Some students enjoy using it. Some teachers like to use Minecraft as a tool to teach math concepts like ratio and proportion. Minecraft can be used to support student creativity and collaboration.

Prodigy

Prodigy is an application that uses game-based learning. Students play levels by answering questions to unlock levels of the game. I have seen it used in the classroom. I found it a great tool but when students approach a question they don’t understand it can be frustrating for them.

There are hints build into the questions to assist students in answering difficult questions but in some cases students student need extra help from the teacher. This site is password protected because it is designed with student profiles to ensure that their progress is saved. Teachers would have to create profiles for their student.

Created on Canva